Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Reactions:

What are your reactions to, opinions about, or feelings of the book?

13 comments:

  1. My reactions to the book so far is it's extremely gripping, but so sad. After I read to page fifty-three, I had to just stop and think for a while. It just made me sad, I know this isn't a true story, but I also know this happens in real life. I don't know it just made me sad and a little depressed. I want Missy to be OK but I'm pretty sure she's dead. It makes me want to continue reading, but at the same time not. I hope it becomes happier, I really do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading this first section I really wanted them to find Missy alive. But, knowing what the description on the back cover says, I know that they won't. It's quite sad but it makes me want to find out what happens when Mack returns to the shack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading the first chapers I think that this is a very well writen book and that the auther has done an excellent job whith this book on how he voices the characters and how the characters pray, love, and act with other people. One thing that was really believeable to me was how Mack always felt guilty about that he never protected his mother when their was really nothing he could do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading the first few chapters, I felt very sad especially for Mack and Missy. Mack thinks it's his fault and he regrets what happened, but it wasn't his fault. He was just trying to save his other kid. I really wanted to keep reading, but after I read that i just felt sad. I hope Mack gets through his Great Sadness and enjoys his life the way Missy would want him to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My reaction to the second set of chapters is surprise that Mack would not tell Nan about the note or his plans to go back to the shack. Why would he tell his friend but, not his own wife? Another total surprise to me is that God waited for Mack to start to leave before coming to the shack. Because Mack received the note from God, I thought God would be waiting for him. I think points like this make the book more realistic because things often don't go how we think they will in real life. How the author has written the characters makes me believe that they are real people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In response to RJ's December 2nd comment, I read it too fast to think in between, but it puzzles me now looking back on it. Why wouldn't Mack tell the woman he loves above all? I get why he told his friend though... His friend got suspicious and wouldn't give him the keys to the jeep until Mack told him. Again I agree with RJ, I would have thought that God would have been waiting at the shack but no. Its quite interesting how the author choose to write the book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In response to RJ's comment, I think he didn't tell his wife because she would worry about him. Nan would probably be really worried and not let him go. It might not have been God, it could have been the guy who killed Missy. I can see why he didn't tell her, but I think he should have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think what the judge is doing to Mack is a little harsh but gets the point across. I can understand why mack doesn't think God loves every equal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is sad that Mack could not go play with Missy but it was still nice that he was able to see her. I think Mack is finally starting to come through to God and be closer and more loving like God. Mack is finally starting to let all his wounds heal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even though I was becoming rather bored of the book ever since the kidnapping scene was over, I am still happy that I read this book. I could never quite figure out all of the messages and themes portrayed during the middle of the book, but the ending seemed to cause it all to make a little more sense. The book made good comparisons using abstract ideas to send messages across such as love, compassion, and forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Response to RJ: I agree with your comment on the judge and Mack. From his position, it is hard to see how God could love everybody equally. But now I think Mack may have realized how God does love everybody equally, and this will aid Mack in his faith journey for the rest of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Response to Liam:
    I agree, the book was not as interesting after Missy's kidnapping but the ending brought all of the messages in the book together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My reactions to the book are that is very interesting with the story of Missy's kidnapping but after the scene was over it became hard to keep wanting to read. The only thing that made me want to keep reading was to see what would happen with mystery of how she was kidnapped and murdered.

    ReplyDelete